Happy Independence Day!
Wow, how amazing it is to think about the freedom that we received when we became our own country, independent and free! It is something to be grateful for when we really think about how free the American people truly are. I also think about what Christ did for us so that we may have eternal freedom: Freedom from the bondage of sin and free into an everlasting life. The way that the colonists were enslaved to Britain, is the same way creation is enslaved to our sin, our fleshly desires, apart from Jesus.
I am realizing the true freedom that we have is found in the Lord, and I hope you find the connection between the American colonists and the body of believers in Christ to be as interesting as I do. During the late 1700’s, the colonists were being oppressed by the greedy and godless hand of Great Britain. They had been restricted by rules and bondage and were ready to be truly FREE. The colonists could not worship God freely, their money was being taxed more than the people of Britain, and they were being treated harshly… Doesn’t it feel like this sometimes when we are stuck in the bondage to sin? We find ourselves enslaved to it, desperately wanting out, wanting to be free of it. But there is a way to be free of it; there is one Way!
We celebrate the 4th of July because of the freedom we gained as a country from the British. As believers and followers of Christ, there is yet another thing to celebrate and praise God for; the freedom that has been given by Jesus when he paid our debt, dying to take on OUR sin and giving us eternal freedom. “Therefore my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Through him everyone who believes is set free from every sin, a justification you were not able to obtain under the Law of Moses.” Acts 13:38-39. We have been set free from ALL sins because of what Jesus did on our behalf. When we believe, the chains of bandage and slavery have been shattered. We have become unshackled by the precious blood of Jesus Christ! The enemy does not have a foothold over us or a stronghold over our lives any longer. Let’s take a look at some of the passages in scripture that talks about our freedom and liberation from sin.
- Isaiah 61:1 ~ “The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good tidings to the poor; He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound.”
- John 8:36 ~ “Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.”
- Romans 6:22 ~ “But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.”
- Romans 8:1-4 ~ “There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.”
- Romans 8:20-21 ~ “For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.”
- 2 Corinthians 3:17 ~ “Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.”
- Galatians 5:1 ~ “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.”
- Colossians 1:21-23 ~ “Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation— if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.”
- 1 Peter 2:16 ~ “as free, yet not using liberty as a cloak for vice, but as bond-servants of God.”
What a refreshing display of Jesus’ love and the truth of our freedom. The enemy knows that we have been set free through Christ, and that is why he wants to deceive us into believing that we are still slaves to fear and to sin. Jesus has set you FREE! Claim the victory that you already have through him! As we take today to celebrate our freedom as Americans and as followers of Christ, let’s also remember and pray for the persecuted Christians across the world. There are so many countries around the globe that do not have the freedom to pray out loud, to read and study the Word of God, to meet together in a church setting to worship the Lord, or to even write about Jesus the way I am now. It is a precious gift that we have been given, and we cannot take this for granted. Let’s also remember all the men and women who have fought and died to protect and ensure this freedom we have been given. I pray you all have a safe and blessed 4th of July and that you not only remember America’s freedom, but the freedom we have in Christ alone. We are no longer slaves to sin and death, because we are children of God, believing that Jesus is Lord and dedicating our lives to Him who loves us. “Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.” John 8:36.